Enigma

Monday, June 04, 2007

A Tale of Two Cities- II

CITY CITY BANG BANG

In my previous blog, I had stated that Perceptions are indeed built on wrong foundation.
But what if perceptions overpower the reality and bring forth a disguised motif. The second half of tale of two cities is about my days in Bangalore.

It has been a year now since I physically “Bangalored” myself to the frenzy lifestyle of this once poetic tranquil locale. Never had revulsion been as strong against people and place as I had upon reaching Bangalore. From the land where people believed in conservative moderation, to the place where every spot seemed gloated with ostentatious display- A cultural shock had struck me big time.

How do I classify Bangalore- A hub of pampered riches or clumsy road links leading to chaotic traffic. Aah…Traffic!!..As I am typing these words I am struck amidst one of those endless queues of trendy cars, tattered trucks, nudging taxis and of course violent auto rickshaws. Rain is beating heavily on windshield of my office cab and I am mentally preparing myself for the timeless arduous drive back home. Somehow I never understood the logic. Why…why in the world did the city planner built a bus stand next to a traffic signal? Every time the traffic looks to move a big BMTC bus bumps into the way and thumps its chest, challenging the lowly cars, taxis and motor bikes. The short sightedness was never apparent as the one I see in the eyes of local authorities. Why these buses are blue, red and yellow in color? Why they are not Green? – Trivial aspects pricking my mindset. This was how I saw Bangalore with a biased vision.



Perhaps my disgust and dislike for Bangalore was more quantified when I found myself crammed in every single place where I went. There was not a single joint in the city where a people gave me a personal space. Every time where I stand or sit there was some one overlooking my shoulder or brushing aside. I started to hate driving. I thought twice before going to Landmark and scenes at restaurants or eateries always had a repulsive effect on my appetite. Claustrophobic was the word I realized in actual terms. Indeed India’s population has exploded in big way. Those wide roads of Chennai, tranquility of beaches and humility amongst people appeared to be distant memory. What is good in this city…I kept wondering and the search continued.

Where in the world was Pensioner’s Paradise?

But times change and so do perceptions crash- albeit it took tad longer this time round. The early chilly morning of autumn was greeted with those spirited voices of RJs in Radio City and Radio Mirchi. The ride to office was not that bad after all. Every morning those feet tapping music set the tone for the day. I had realized that I had shielded my eyes, my ears, my mind and my conscious in big way. These RJs are trying to spread a positive vibes amidst the chaos of the city yet I was refusing myself to yield. Am I really getting over critical about my surroundings?


Actually I did never possess an open mind when I set foot in this city. I was allowing the past to punctuate my present and over clouding my future. The best aspect about Bangalore that I was ignoring for a while was the discipline that I had inculcated in my life style. Not only professionally but in personal life- To beat odds and time I was utilizing my hours prudently and efficiently. Once I started accepting the people and the city, the picture started looking better. The best way to bond with a city is to befriend its people. My association with Chennai had deep roots because I had shared wonderful relationship with the people.


And here in Bangalore, I was blessed in company of people whom I treasure more than my life. Yet I was not attaching value to their association. At times I isolated myself from the people and lived in my own world. Loneliness breeds pessimism. Good times bring about positive mindset and feel good factor with it. Conquering the Goliath-sized challenges overshadowed all the nemesis that I had started associating with Bangalore. On hindsight when I look at this apogee of success, I realize how much this city has given to me. I came here with aspiring mind but in confused state. I am departing with clear mindset and definitely bag full of treasure.


Over period of time I have got used to demands that any growing city bears and the probable hiccups. Yet the striking aspect of Bangalore has been the buzz that you can hear wherever you go. Perhaps over-prosperous capitalism too is like hot egg- difficult to sustain. The office no longer looks gloomy and dull. I enter my dominion with enthusiasm and optimism. Who cares for those reviled traffic jams? Just check out some nice looking females in cars or bikes(incidentally in scarcity in Chennai) and move on when signal is Green. Landmark is crowded…What about Crosswords where people are there few and far between the aisles of books. And yes forget Bikes and Barrel of Chennai- 13th Floor here is awesome!! Looking for a long drive- just zoom through the roads of Mysore highway.

Its people that make a place good or bad- My realization was more conclusive when I visited Chennai this time round. Though I enjoyed my trip, I kept on missing Bangalore, its people, its traffic jams, its crowded malls, the people I left behind here, its temperate climate and yes the music on airwaves of Radio City.

2 Comments:

  • Ok here is another good one...and i can totally relate to it :D
    its so true !!
    u write so good, and ur writing flow is so amazing one suggestion: why dont u write a BOOK????
    It would do good, mark my words!
    aww i miss bangalore :(

    By Blogger Mansee, at 6:40 AM  

  • hmmm... u cudnt resist making the blog positive.. now could u?? heheh.. hmm happens...its really nice to see a person so positive abt everything.. btw uve painted a nice candid image of the city in the first half of the blog.. not tht i dont feel some of the same things uve felt.. but bangalore will remain special...as a city doin its best under the explosiv e circumstances..:)

    By Blogger Thursday's Child, at 4:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home