Enigma

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Day when Mother Destiny gave me a pleasant surprise


I have often believed that I can be anything in this world but a lucky person. If I have five minutes to catch a train and chances are at even Stevens of whether I would board the train, either the train would be before time or something impeding will happen that will spoil my pursuit. Over past 17-18 years of my academic life, the topics which I use to leave out during examinations inevitably used to prove a stumbling block in my final result. More trivial the series of events that veiled my tryst with Lady Luck, more stubborn my views would become that I am not a Destiny’s Child. Of late even the change in traffic signal from Green to Red, just as I am about to clinch that metaphorical Chequered Flag by crossing the signal, makes me grumble continuously on my ill fated luck – I am destined to miss out.

Such has been my maniac obsession with luck, or lack of it, that I never bestow good wishes to anyone who is undertaking any auspicious errand. I fear that if I do so my Anti Luck Syndrome would metamorphose my good wishes into ill fate for that person. Those hackneyed jibes that ‘I am maker of my destiny’ were used as a solace to make me feel comfortable. However, at times, life provides even a destitute with royal treat or for that matter a Mendicant too on occasions have surplus in his kitty to give away to the likes of rich and noble. Such reversal of fortune didn’t elude me for too long.

It all happened on a typical Friday office day during my stint at Cognizant. Somehow Fridays often carry an air of freshness, freedom, festivity and laid back attitude which keeps the dull and droopy slogging spirits quite high. That day the entire Industrial sub vertical of Manufacturing Logistics Unit were supposed to gather in main campus for the Town Hall Meeting. Usually these Town Hall meetings are drag and enormously boring. The Senior Project Manager keeps on chanting about the great contributions that we had made to the Vertical and Company en large. It’s only that day that you realize that checking/sending mails and surfing net is so valuable to Company’s profit. Normally, if given option I would prefer catching a nap on one of those bean bags or suthifying around the office campus than attending those Town Hall Meetings. However, In your formative years as a professional, you hardly have a say in what you should do and what not – so did I.

I always prefer farthest corner of the last row of the Hall, where associates conglomerated for the meeting. That day was no different; I picked up the safest spot where I could be away from provoking eyes of my superiors. My pranking antennae often are at 90 degree angle during such meetings. Something within me itches to create an out of ordinary incident so that I can draw everybody’s attention. Over period of time my teammates-cum- great pals too started picking up the sensory signals about my intentions. One of my protégé – if you can call him- and real good friend Karthik started to venture on those un-traversed alleys of bending the rules under my guidance.

The Town Hall Meeting started with our senior manager reciting those self congratulatory lines for umpteenth time. He kept on quoting those nebular facts and figures which somehow proved that indeed the team had achieved the pinnacle of success. For me, ground reality was completely different – that’s different story. I always read in books that you cannot fool all the people all the time. But somehow this unspoken rule never hold true for the clients. They kept getting fooled and milked without even realizing it. Anyways, so the achievements of fooling the client brazenly continued and so did my patience ran out.

I pricked Karthik’s devoted attention which imbibed each and every word that our SPM mouthed. He turned around sensing some weird though brewing up between my ears. It was Friday and I didn’t want to miss out the opportunity of ogling on few females who look remarkably gorgeous and completely different when they shed those formal dresses to Friday casuals. Probability of catching them at cafeteria was quite high as somehow they too know that their unknown fans and courtiers are just stone throw distance away. Definitely a cup of coffee would always complement the soothing sight that we use to behold.
“I had enough of those lectures…let’s scoot off to cafeteria. We can catch up with some hot stuffs!!” I whispered in Karthik’s ear.
His stern look with half smile and half grumpy face revealed his bewilderment and reluctance on my plan. A definite ‘No’ was on cards and that’s what I expected. But somehow, I believe, he too ran out of patience and gave an affirmative nod to my deal.

We decided to slowly scamper out of rear gate without pricking anybody’s attention. My plan always had a back up for I never believed in ‘Jumping and then looking Around’; always ‘Look around before you Jump’. I instructed another team mate of mine to send any warning SMS in case the situation gets messy. (God bless those inventors of SMS). We slowly trudged towards the rear gate.

“Now the time for annual prize distribution ceremony for outstanding contribution…”

The voice echoed at back of my nonchalant ears. One thing is for sure prize distribution ceremony is the last place where I find myself in coherence. I guess my life long achievements never synchronized with the judges who give away prizes, so a la Aamir Khan I too call it quits when there is an award ceremony – Wish my argument appears convincing to my fans and readers.

As we were about to tail-gate the rare exit with our access cards – “ Adarsh Abhineet”- A voice boomed across the hall.

“Shucks…Caught!!!...How could this happen…You are gone dude!!” – a plethora of repulsive thoughts collided with my brain cells. “Quickly think of an excuse…I was going to rest room would do…No no..that’s used many times…try using.. I was having a nausea….or may be I was feeling terribly ill…yes this one should look convincing”.

The thoughts were banging my hands while feet were rooted to the place where I was standing.

Adarsh Abhineet”- again my Senior Project Manager bellowed – “… again my Senior Project Manager bellowed – “… can you please come on stage!!”

Fear, anxiety, apprehensiveness all colluded into one big round mass and stuck somewhere in my throat. Karthik, gave me a shake to bring my senses back to the reality.
“Go da… they are calling you!!”

My reluctant feet pushed forward, I started hearing sounds of clapping in resonance reverberated across the room. “What these fellas are up to??? Are they gonna shred me to pieces and enjoy the fun….God save me!!” The earnest plea went to the all mighty.

As I moved towards the dais totally confused further words of my SPM amidst those claps echoed in my eardrum – “ Adarsh has been highly dedicated and outstanding in his efforts over past year. His discipline, urge to crack difficult problems, analytical skills has seen him become an exponent in EDI. His wonderful achievement makes him our “Hero of the Manlog”. I request Adarsh to come to the stage and collect his prize”.


“What???? Adarsh…dedicated…discipline…analytical…is there something wrong .And what the hell is this EDI??I think surely they have goofed up big time. There must be someone else who was in line for this award. They have must committed a huge blunder…” – My apprehensiveness was replaced by a set of bemused and bizarre thoughts.” Are they planning to play a prank on me and then execute me for my misadventure?”

I stuttered near the dais and gave a side glance to my Assistant Project Manager. He gave me an impish smile and signaled me to collect my trophy and certificate. In complete trance state I shook hand with my SPM amidst those loud applauses from the people present there. This surely gonna be some dream. It can’t be true!! I returned with my prize to the place where me an Karthik were standing.

“Karthik…I think they are gonna award both of us…for cooking up such a great plan!!” I said Karthik with a slight grin. It took a while for whole affair to sink in. Meanwhile, I kept accepting congratulatory remarks and hand shakes from my peers and superiors. Unfortunately this time round the jury were incoherent with Karthik’s talent and it was only me who ended up winning the award.

Yet whole event was too good to be true and for the first time I could see Mother Destiny showering smiles on me. Later my APM enquired about my bemused look while I stutterd near the dais .When I told him about my plans and its failure. He gave a hearty laugh and said he had posted two people outside the exit gate so that I dont run away. He too started coming to terms with what was there in my head....

4 Comments:

  • he he he !!! i could recollect the reactions on ur face !!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:43 AM  

  • hahahahah..... how could I every forget that day sir... if we had stepped out .. end of story for both of us..... u should be thanking me for delaying yr plans.... :)

    Karthik

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:46 AM  

  • hehehe. good one..

    By Blogger Thursday's Child, at 4:26 AM  

  • Congrats!
    Happy good luck but don't ever forget to 'look before you jump' :)

    By Blogger Tanvi, at 2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home