Enigma

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Every day as the last day of your life…



An intriguing thought pricked my mind when I woke up this morning – What would I do if today is supposed to be my last day on this earth? For a moment I was completely baffled and at loss about the hidden ambiguity in the thought that floated across my mind. The enormity of the question soon engulfed me when I realized that I was particularly clueless on what could exactly be my wish list when I am confronted with such doomsday prophecy. For a moment I brushed it aside saying such things cannot happen to me and I am destined to live jolly-few-more-scores to even contemplate about this thought. Still somewhere in the hindsight it kept my tummy lurching with thoughts that I know neither myself nor my wishes.

Like my usual routine I shot the first mail to my friends and close acquaintances as soon as I reached office - asking the same question. As I waited for their response slowly and steadily the thick veil of smog started to uncover that nebular motif that surrounded my mind. I could sense how much of a stranger I was to myself. I opened an Excel sheet and started typing some not so profound words. As my mind wavered across the various spectrum and ambitions I behold, I got the first response from one of my friends. She wanted to spend the last day of her life with her closest relations, duly apologizing for all the mistakes she has committed, let loose all those hidden words which were cabined in the closet of her heart and pass the entire day savoring the good times she had.

At least I got some idea about myself too. Yes definitely being with my family will stand out as of prime wish. All these materialistic gains and achievements would count nothing if my family is not there to stand by my side in case of such eventuality. Slowly more responses kept pouring in my mail box. Almost each one of them had a remarkable similarity of the way they associated themselves to their family and friends at times of adversary. What amazed me most was even though we human beings are spiritually, biologically and socially drastically different form one another still there is a common thread that binds us -The wish to remain inseparable with close ones.

Remarkable enough each one of us would like to celebrate this judgment day either by calling and meeting friends, eating delicacies or fulfilling all those hidden ambitions without worrying about the future. Another respondent of mine gave a thoughtful insight to her reaction on facing such a predicament. She said she would be thankful to God for giving her the opportunity to know when her end is nearing so that she could make it a special one. I guess none of us would like to leave this beautiful world with unfulfilled heart and mind.

When I was compiling the feedbacks and comparing them with what my half cooked wish list looked like, there was a strange deception about it. We talk about what we do when confronted with such situation but what if we start treating Every single day as the last day of our life. “Quite outlandish!!” rung the words in my eardrums. “Not Exactly!!” said my heart. I wake up every morning thinking about the worries and cacophonous skirmish of thoughts in my mind. I prefer worrying more about what I don’t have to what I have attained. I see myself in mirror and think that another dull day beacons me. I wait for appropriate time and destiny to make things working for me personally and professionally. Would I sit back the same way if today was my last day on this earth? ”No” boomed my heart and mind in resonance.

I want to be a writer then why not start today than waiting for an appropriate time. I want to be a singer then why not hum the tunes than waiting for someone to play the music. We come across several relations in our life – we prize some of them and don’t bother to mend the strained ones. But still I wish that all my friends, families and relatives be near to me when doomsday strikes. I wait for tomorrow to make the things better for me. I start on my route to meet my ambition but loose my way in middle worrying what would happen if I don’t achieve it. None of us would worry for tomorrow if today is supposed to be the last day on this world. I guess waiting for tomorrow, worrying for tomorrow had impaired my existence to great deal. I have plans for future but I don’t know how to use my present.

I sense the beam of ray penetrating this smog was provided by my friends within whom I could see my reflection, my present. There are lot of unfulfilled tasks that is waiting for me to get actuated. There are many to whom I need to pay gratitude for what I have achieved, there are lot more to whom I have to apologize for not meeting their desires. There are bunch of them to whom I waited to say how dearly I love them and be with them if not physically at least spiritually.

I think the luckiest are the ones who wake up in morning knowing what they have to do to conquer the present. Not only professionally but also on personal front. The spark of enlightenment first showed its sign when I called up my parents to just wish them a good day. Somewhere down the line I had started taking my family and friends for granted assuming to be there by my side whenever I pull up the strings. May be it is the time to treasure them in my life and pay the gratitude for their love, affection and sacrifice not only today but every single day. I apologized to some of my lost mates with whom gulf kept growing broader with period of time. It was time not to crib about mistakes I committed but take them as lessons that I learnt from them.

I wish this spark continues to bestow us with blissful and meaningful “today” everyday. I hope I can use my present to make my future brighter. I forget the past and stop worrying about future for present beacons me with an open arm.
By the way this morning the thought struck in my mind because I dreamt of the Monk who sold his Ferrari coming to me and asking the same question

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home