Enigma

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Child and Beast within us



Finally Pramod Mahajan had to yield against the Indomitable Death. John Donne wrote in his masterpiece poetry Death Be Not Proud:

For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill mee.
From rest and sleepe, which but thy pictures bee,
Much pleasure, then from thee, much more must flow

I presume there has been plethora of paean and eulogy sung in memory of departed soul .And any further addition from this end will sound hackneyed. Today I sit down to write this blog not to lament but to scrutinize the feeble yet freakish human mind. There have been thousand and one conspiracy theories circulating in media yet nobody is taking the ostensible fact: A brother can be so raged due to negligence shown by his sibling that in fit of anger he can go and kill the person.

Truly it may sound as a dry excuse and I haven’t any distant idea of what criminal psychology is all about. Yet I would like to put up a very simple question. What will you do if you find out that your girl friend has dumped you when through out your life you had been devoting your mind and soul to make her happy? One fine day you discover that she is been wooed by someone else on pretext that you didn’t give her those usual dolly-good-last-night-kisses. For that matter take yourself as younger brother been constantly bullied by your elder siblings. Nobody paying attention to what you say and what is your perspective. When you are in crisis of your lifetime you find your self been shown a nonchalant and ignorant response from your blood relations. What will be your reaction?

I have no intention to rally for Pravin Mahajan , brother of deceased. Still I would like to believe that trying to sound virtuous and hypocritical that “How can he do it?”…we all are fooling ourselves. Its normal homo sapiens’ tendency to react strongly when you feel let down by the people with whom you have certain expectations. Just like different elements in Mendelif’s periodic table the level of reaction depends upon their stability which is mind in this case. A strong family bonding always provides an inert atmosphere which keeps human being immune from relational trauma. This person is no rank criminal which has been justified by his reaction and level headedness after the incident.

A Greek philosopher said “No man is an island”. How much self-reliant and emotionally strong we may be, still at some point of time you need a shoulder to rest your head upon, a lap where you can cuddle yourself like a child. People look for a boy friend/girl friend/life partners to cut loose those childish emotions which may look ridiculous in front of you and me. As we all grow up, we are expected to behave in matured way keeping all the innocence and childishness in shackles. I wonder how would a child react if he finds his favorite candies been stolen by his elder brother or his favorite toy been broken by his sister. Of course we never expect him to sit quiet and practice wisdom of life “Forgive and Forget”.

“The Child is father of a Man” said Wordsworth.Shakespeare described old age as “Second Childishness”. I presume certain philosophers could distinctly see that child quotient within each one of us. For some like any “abnormality”, which I refuse to term the word as, this quotient is pretty high. I won’t like my mother’s love and affection to be shared by any other person. Neither would I see my sister treating someone less at par with me and giving him a brotherly affection. I guess neither would you. Unfortunately in spite of having a beast and a child within ourselves we sound perplexed when some body can’t control this confabulation within his mind. His only mistake that it has become apparent in public eye.

I might have committed scores of crime in hiding where nobody could have chance of nailing me down. I have let out the beast within me to such an extent that it diluted my persona. The Jekyll and Hyde conflict rages within me every moment I see my self in reflection. Yet I try to sound virtuous by condemning a perfectly normal person for his indifferent ability to control the beast plus child within himself. Unfortunately I been a part of society am not willing to accept convicts within my periphery. I suspect whether you would do any thing different? Neither I nor my society is pragmatic enough to give conducive environment to people with such indifferent ability to rectify themselves.

We all believe Bad is as dark as the color BLACK and Good is as pure as color WHITE. I am white and you are black. That’s the human philosophy.

4 Comments:

  • though this essentially isn't quite in tune with the point u made with this post, but comin to ur last line...
    what wrong did black do that it had to take the blame for anything bad, and what s so special about white that its supposed to be treated as good!

    By Blogger maneesh, at 10:00 AM  

  • Good article....just to answer farsan's question right from childhood we have been trained to believe black stands for all evil..if you see those supernatural serials and films people wearing black color outfits symbolise evil and the priests don a white color dress to symbolise purity..the reference of this was excellent in this article..

    By Blogger Batty, at 7:17 PM  

  • Good article....just to answer farsan's question right from childhood we have been trained to believe black stands for all evil..if you see those supernatural serials and films people wearing black color outfits symbolise evil and the priests don a white color dress to symbolise purity..the reference of this was excellent in this article..

    By Blogger Batty, at 7:17 PM  

  • i couldn't help but nod my head in agreement when reading this...we all try to sound politically correct and virtuouus and are hypocrites in the world!!its a pseudo world after all...

    By Blogger sat, at 9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home