Enigma

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Wish affection is bestowed not by words but by action

I am completing my second year in the software industry and yet I wonder in spite of scribbling and presenting opinion on almost all facet of my life, I had conspicuously skipped professional motifs in my write ups. May be the passion and emotions that is required to unscramble the thoughts and pen down on piece of parchment never infused within my veins. Somehow there was an oddity about the environment and work culture which kept repelling me in imbibing the jargons, motifs, ethics etc.

Relationship with a person or an abstract thing like a company doesn’t require enough time to strike the chord. Either you like it or you don’t .There is no gradual shifting of affiliation. It’s been two days in this new company and remarkably I sit down on my desk to write on the topic which remained aloof from my mind for past two years, May be that’s the synchronization that I was referring to. I didn’t even have to ponder what I am supposed to write.

When I joined Manhattan Associates the most notable feature that struck my mind was equanimity and humbleness in the ambience. The cafeteria of the office is pretty decent and sober by software industry standards. There is a placard at the entrance which said “Please Help Yourself.” Very simple three word senetence which is insignia of any self service restaurant. Out here I could found the meaning of these words in practice. After finishing their lunch each and every employee cleaned their plates and properly stacked the bowl, spoon and plates in their respective compartments. There are companies boosting about the jargon of equality in the work culture, tagging their employees with designer words etc etc. I presume they miss out important people like office boys, maids and security guards who ensure our stay in office is pleasurable. This small reflection of culture practiced at Manhattan was an overwhelming experience.

I distinctly remember my first day at Cognizant. As a fresher with immense enthusiasm and aspirations I entered the fortress like campus of CTS. Still recuperating from the awe of the ambience , the mechanical precision with which Human Resources people doled out the ethics and rules coated with fancy jargons was enough to suggest that I am been shown a favor by been inducted in this large behemoth. A fresher brings in energy and ideas which is vital ingredient for success of any organization. Successful sporting teams will throw this distinct pattern that youth blended with certain amount of experience always reach astounding heights. Be it Chicago Bulls, Argentinean Football team of ’86 or our very own Indian Cricket team. For youth doesn’t carriage baggage of failure and sees every morning as the one of which he is the master. Unfortunately the IT industry hasn’t learnt this lesson as yet. The iterations in work, unmethodical chalking out the career paths, immense restrictions kills the bud within.

A new member in a family is welcomed with warmth, smile and flavor of festivity. A new born baby is cynosure of everyone. I had read in my school books the old verse of Kabir which said “Be like a tree who bends in humbleness because of uncountable number of fruits that decorates its branches.” I guess an organization is no different than a tree. Yet that humbleness somewhere gets lost when the family arc increases in diameter. I don’t know where Manhattan will stand ten years down the line in practicing the family like virtues. But the way I was welcomed into the organization somewhere left an indelible impression in my mind. From the security guard to the receptionist to the office boy to the HR people. Each one of them had natural warmth effusing from their face. No cosmetic jargons. No tread-of- mill repulsive lectures. No mistrust. No restriction. That’s what you want in your family …isn’t it??? Very basic virtues but I suspect how many organization practices it

I have often resisted been clubbed as a Resource in an organization. I believe be it a sweeper or a Managing Director of a company, he is human being. Not a raw material that you can stack up in your warehouse. An employee is your team mate not the piece of carton whom you can shelf when not required and pull in with a tag of “Critical” in case of emergency. No employee can be a resource or for that matter “Critical Resource”. Each one of them has a human existence and is equally important in growth of the organization. Just to sound fancy we are diluting somebody’s very existence. I don’t think any mother will ever refer one of her child as “Critical child” just because he has got the due opportunities that others missed out.

Parting away from a family is always a difficult proposition. You want to carry as many good moments as you can. I guess that’s why the concept of Farewell was introduced. Wherever you go, whatever you do…Our wishes will be with you. I presume by clubbing the employees as resources most industry have restricted their relations to highly materialistic level. I suspect how many of our parents will call us opportunistic if we endeavor for better career in far off place and leave the family fold. Presumably an organization is supposed to be like a family where old relations give way to newer breed.

Before bidding farewell to Cognizant I encountered an interesting incident. After finishing all my formalities at CTS I had to return my company ID. While coming out of the main exit gate I thought of taking the picture of the company building as a memorabilia. I took the way to entrance gate and was promptly stopped by the security guard. Now this was the same security guard with whom half and hour back I had jolly-good-friendly chat when I was in possession of the company badge. As expected he didn’t want to risk his job and even though he was aware about the situation he didn’t allow me to enter within an inch of premises. Finally to stroll inside the campus for 120 sec, I had to take a visitor pass. May be there was a poetic personification of my metamorphosis from an “associate” to a “stranger” in a “family” like organization.

1 Comments:

  • i totally agree with ur thoughts abt the other non-s/w employees of an organization...

    By Blogger Thursday's Child, at 5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home